Overcome Gum Disease with Minimally Invasive Periodontal Therapy
Gum disease is the leading cause of tooth loss in adults. Although gum disease begins with no to minimal symptoms, if untreated, it eventually affects your teeth-supporting bone, resulting in tooth loss.
Fortunately, gum disease is easily treatable, especially when detected early. Yerger Family Dental in Miles City, Montana, uses conservative gum disease treatment options to restore your gums to their healthy self.
How gum disease develops
Periodontal disease develops when plaque and tartar are left to accumulate in your mouth due to inadequate oral hygiene. Calculus buildup invites harmful bacteria which infiltrate your gingival tissues over time.
Gum disease develops in stages. The earliest form of gum disease (gingivitis) occurs when harmful bacteria inflame your gums. Common symptoms of gingivitis include:
- Bleeding when brushing or flossing
- Swollen gums
- Red gums
- Tender or sensitive gums
Most patients don’t take the above symptoms seriously and hence don’t seek treatment. If left untreated, gingivitis advances into periodontitis. At this stage, the infection isn’t just on the surface of your gums but has spread deep into your gums and teeth-supporting bone.
The common symptoms of periodontitis include:
- Chronic bad breath
- Receding gum line
- Dental pain when chewing
- Loose teeth
- The presence of abscesses
When you notice any symptoms of gum disease, don’t assume the symptoms will simply disappear. Instead, please book an appointment with a dentist for treatment.
Treating gum disease
We use a periodontal probe to diagnose gum disease. Ordinarily, there is a two-to-three-millimeter pocket space between your gums and teeth. When your dentist establishes your pockets are deeper than this, it indicates the presence of gum disease. The deeper your readings, the more advanced your gum disease is.
After diagnosing gum disease, Drs. Yerger and Stewart may propose the following treatment options:
- Diligent oral care: Consistent brushing and flossing of your teeth and routine dental cleanings have proven effective in reversing gingivitis. Our team will conduct periodic checks on the condition of your gums to track the progress of your gum disease and prevent its escalation
- Deep dental cleaning: This non-surgical dental procedure uses scaling and root planing to remove plaque and tartar beneath your gum line. Additionally, we smooth your roots to prevent bacteria from reattaching
- Antibiotic therapy: To manage the infection caused by bacteria, we recommend topical and oral antibiotics to treat gum disease
Please call (406) 232-2214 to seek periodontal treatment from Yerger Family Dental in Miles City, MT. We use minimally invasive periodontal therapy to manage gum disease.